Friday, January 30, 2009

25 things about me:
  1. In the past few years, I have learned to like (love might be a more accurate word) Reuben sandwiches, jalapeƱos, and over-easy eggs. I used to think that all of these things were gross.
  2. I’ve sold books and calendars at Waldenbooks bookstore and the associated calendar kiosk. I worked on the “admissions” staff at Island Oasis water park. I watched little tykes at a church nursery. I was on the housekeeping staff for Hastings College for one day (that was enough). I typed a lot and added up time cards at a doctor’s office. I worked as a para-educator at a middle school and also privately tutored a middle school student. I have worked as a Medical Technologist (aka Lab Chick) at three hospitals.
  3. The bear that I used to sleep with is named Mr. Murray. It is pronounced Mer-ay, not Mer-ee. I slept with him for most of my life. Right now he is on the top shelf of my closet with a 90% amputated leg. The “surgeon” was my little beagle-monster. I think she was jealous of all the snuggle time he got. Her plan worked - she has taken his place and now sleeps in my nook.
  4. I have worked at Nebraska Heart Hospital for almost five years. I love my job and I love my co-workers. I believe that this job is one of the biggest blessings I have received in my life. The family of friends that I have made through NHH has enriched my life more than I can express.
  5. When I was little (maybe 8 or 10 years old) my dad put up a big pole in our front yard. He ran a hose up it. On cold days, he ran the water and made us one giant icicle.
  6. I like to get rid of things. I hate it when things look clutter-y and I only want to own the things that I think are beautiful.
  7. I walk a lot. This is mostly due to Mabel (the beagle) and her never ending energy. My minimum daily walk is 30 minutes. In the summer, it is not unusual for me to walk for 90 minutes or more, each day.
  8. The most beautiful place I have been is Edinburgh, Scotland. I would like to go there again…and also to see more of Scotland.
  9. I still spend time, each week, with friends that I made in middle school. I love them and feel immensely grateful to have them in my life.
  10. I used to be good at skiing. Now I am kind of a chicken.
  11. I am a nester. I like to move because I like to figure out where I am going to put everything and how I am going to arrange the furniture and where to hang the art and what colors to paint the walls and so on and so on. Since I bought my house, I try to curb my urge to move by changing little things here and there and by spending a lot of time thinking about what I would change in other people’s houses, if they were my own.
  12. My most favorite band of all time is NOFX. I have been to three of their shows. Their show in Kansas City, last March, ranks among the best nights of my life.
  13. Someday I am going to build a house. Well, I’m not actually going to nail things together, but you know what I mean. It is going to be modern and have lots of white walls and a Saarinen tulip table and two or three Eames’ rocking chairs.
  14. I recently spent an hour, with Brian, learning about the word “Ma” in Mandarin. Depending on the tone of your voice, it can mean Mother, Horse, Hemp, or To Spend. We also learned to say Hello/How are you, but we're not sure what tone you are supposed to use for that, so we might really be saying something else.
  15. I used to paint a lot. I don’t, very much, anymore. The highlights of my painting career include two Honorable Mention awards from the Grand Island Art in the Park and having someone from NYC buy a piece from a display in a Lincoln bar.
  16. I think I am slowly turning into my mom. Sometimes I make little noises or say things to Mabel that sound just like her.
  17. At my house, it is almost always quiet. I am easily overwhelmed by too much noise. There are moments when I cannot stand to be in a room, car, etc. with the radio or TV on.
  18. I love morning time. I always have.
  19. I love to play board games and cards. I recently learned how to play Tripoley and think it ranks right up there with the best of ‘em. Playing cards with a group of friends/family is one of my absolute favorite things to do.
  20. I read a lot. I average a book every four days. You might wonder how I know this. The answer is that I am a dork and have a spreadsheet to keep track of my reading.
  21. Going to art museums is another of my favorite activities. I love the quiet and all the prettiness.
  22. I am addicted to design, architecture, and personal finance blogs. I spend way too much of my time reading them.
  23. My sister and I became friends when I was a senior (and she was a freshman) in high school. We haven’t lived in the same state as each other for several years, but we call or email each other (or both) 96.2% days of the year.
  24. I want to be a mama to a wiener dog. I had a little foster-weenie named Walter for a few months last fall and he was fabulous. Even though I’d like another dog, I learned through the fostering experience that I am a better mama to one dog than two.
  25. My favorite artist is Wayne Thiebauld and my favorite architect is Phillip Johnson. I like to daydream about living in a Phillip Johnson house with lot’s of Wayne Thiebauld paintings on the walls.

No comments: